Monday, May 09, 2005

Port O Leith

Third time lucky they say. Not so. I went to the Port on Saturday afternoon. I had a few but it wasn't happening. I got the fear. It's a daunting place I think if you know no one. Maybe Its because I went with Alan and we were unapproachable in our coupleness state. The banter seems to be flying down the furthest end of the bar. It gets more Star Wars the lower it goes down though. Then a table of insufferable neds sat down next to me. I gave up. There are blogs full of people merrily downing a pint in the port whilst enjoying some quality banter. Was it the wrong day/time? Should I wear a badge that says talk to me I'm ok? Please advise!

2 Comments:

At 10:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The ports not 'that' dodgy go around the corner to charlotte st and visit a little bar called JJ's. Like your boyfriend I play in various bluesbands and was persuaded by a friend (against my better judgement) to do a gig in this classy joint the other night. It should be renamed the stab Inn. 65 yr old landlady in thighboots, low flying beerbottles, girlfights, baseball caps, shellsuits. I booked a taxi for 2mins after we finished playing and legged it. I've played dives before but that was a premier league shitehole!The port of leiths best during the week any trouble usually gets nipped in the bud by mary moriarty and they end up on the street on their arses. Ask when gaynight is (you can usually tell cos of the big motorbikes outside and the stubbly guys in leather inside).They used to put a Rocky Horror Picture Show night on occasionally ask mary when its coming back. Another band I play in called the dana dixon blues band is paying bannermans on the 18th you're both more than welcome and if your 'man' wants to get up and play I'm sure it can be arranged. I played on the same bill with his band a few years ago at the embra blues fest at the caley brewery.

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger Swanieslunch said...

hi gareth! alan met you last night at bannermans and I think a fun time was had by all. I especially enjoyed the pizza he brought me back from best kebab! I would have been there myself but I was working. No doubt we will see you around and thanks for getting in touch! ;-)alans email is weebroon@hotmail.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home