Thursday, June 22, 2006

Suit Jackets and sensible shoes

So I am jobless.
The shop wasn't making enough to pay my wages, and I had to go. I can't decide if I am relieved or miserable. Miserable is always easier. I could just get under the duvet, sleep for 15 hrs a day and start to smell. Fact is, I don't have that luxury. I also believe that it was the right time for this to happen. My job wasn't exactly taxing, and the money wasn't great. It was a pleasant and cushy job, but a boring one. I needed a kick up the arse to do something about it, and here it is.

I'm back in the world of interviews for jobs I will hate, faking a big grin and a warm personality. I'm raking out my smart employable clothing and trawling job sites and shopping center's for vacancies. The bugger is that I haven't been off for nearly a year, but I can't just relax and enjoy it because not having a job freaks me right out. Similar to pulling a sickie. I always found when I did that my day off was spent feeling slightly guilty about not being at work.*

Today is the end of my first day of unemployment, and hopefully I wont have too many more.

I just need to say thank you to Alan. Alan was my boss in Angelic, about 7 years ago, and we have always stayed in touch. He now has his own shop,
Cloud 9 and its really taking off for him. Ten minutes after I had told him of my misery, he came and picked me up, and drove me round suitable areas in Edinburgh for a shop of my own. We went back to his for a cuppa, where his partner Gary threw ideas and info on funding and advice at me, and I have an appointment with Business Gateway tomorrow at 2pm. He knows that I have always wanted my own shop, and he is proof that it is achievable. So I still need a job, but meantime ill get the ball rolling for a place of my own. Why the hell not. So thank you both of you. You came and did that just when I needed it. And gave me a confidence boost to boot.

"Sadie, you could sell sand to Arabs luv" were his exact words.

* To any future employees, please note that I haven't actually ever had a sickie. Well not for about a year. And I am very reliable, but time is not my friend. Thank you.

7 Comments:

At 11:08 AM, Blogger Dr Geist said...

youll be great running your own shop. and there will be no one to yell at you or do the whole "sarah im so disappointed in you" routine when you are late. and there is no need to miserable,you always have the scottish show and anyway you know roy would have you back in a heartbeat!

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger sarah said...

Ahh the Roy Boy. Yeah I have avoided the boomerang effect for some time now huh!
I said "huh". Thats because I was thinking about Roy.

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger Colin said...

Sorry to hear about your job, but you know what they say....one door closes and another opens. A shop of your own sounds fantastic!! Good luck at the meeting!

 
At 12:48 AM, Blogger sarah said...

Aww thank you Colin. I have a good feeling about it now. Business Gateway were the Mutts Nutts.

 
At 11:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

royboy is looking for a new shop supervisor......

its fate you know it is.....

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger sarah said...

anonymous? who is this? show yourself! I have a job now. Start on Tuesday. Not saying it will be the best job on the planet, but at least the panic is over. If it wasnt for the Scottish Show, i probably would. Whats happened to Fab Rab like?

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger Jodi said...

It may not be the best job in the world but it does have the most fantastic name in the world!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home