Thursday, June 22, 2006

Suit Jackets and sensible shoes

So I am jobless.
The shop wasn't making enough to pay my wages, and I had to go. I can't decide if I am relieved or miserable. Miserable is always easier. I could just get under the duvet, sleep for 15 hrs a day and start to smell. Fact is, I don't have that luxury. I also believe that it was the right time for this to happen. My job wasn't exactly taxing, and the money wasn't great. It was a pleasant and cushy job, but a boring one. I needed a kick up the arse to do something about it, and here it is.

I'm back in the world of interviews for jobs I will hate, faking a big grin and a warm personality. I'm raking out my smart employable clothing and trawling job sites and shopping center's for vacancies. The bugger is that I haven't been off for nearly a year, but I can't just relax and enjoy it because not having a job freaks me right out. Similar to pulling a sickie. I always found when I did that my day off was spent feeling slightly guilty about not being at work.*

Today is the end of my first day of unemployment, and hopefully I wont have too many more.

I just need to say thank you to Alan. Alan was my boss in Angelic, about 7 years ago, and we have always stayed in touch. He now has his own shop,
Cloud 9 and its really taking off for him. Ten minutes after I had told him of my misery, he came and picked me up, and drove me round suitable areas in Edinburgh for a shop of my own. We went back to his for a cuppa, where his partner Gary threw ideas and info on funding and advice at me, and I have an appointment with Business Gateway tomorrow at 2pm. He knows that I have always wanted my own shop, and he is proof that it is achievable. So I still need a job, but meantime ill get the ball rolling for a place of my own. Why the hell not. So thank you both of you. You came and did that just when I needed it. And gave me a confidence boost to boot.

"Sadie, you could sell sand to Arabs luv" were his exact words.

* To any future employees, please note that I haven't actually ever had a sickie. Well not for about a year. And I am very reliable, but time is not my friend. Thank you.

6 Comments:

At 12:01 PM, Blogger Swanieslunch said...

Ahh the Roy Boy. Yeah I have avoided the boomerang effect for some time now huh!
I said "huh". Thats because I was thinking about Roy.

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger Colin said...

Sorry to hear about your job, but you know what they say....one door closes and another opens. A shop of your own sounds fantastic!! Good luck at the meeting!

 
At 12:48 AM, Blogger Swanieslunch said...

Aww thank you Colin. I have a good feeling about it now. Business Gateway were the Mutts Nutts.

 
At 11:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

royboy is looking for a new shop supervisor......

its fate you know it is.....

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger Swanieslunch said...

anonymous? who is this? show yourself! I have a job now. Start on Tuesday. Not saying it will be the best job on the planet, but at least the panic is over. If it wasnt for the Scottish Show, i probably would. Whats happened to Fab Rab like?

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger Jodi said...

It may not be the best job in the world but it does have the most fantastic name in the world!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home