Sunday, August 28, 2005

The Magnets

I am just back from seeing The magnets. My Dad had seen them previously and he promised me that they were not to be missed. He wasn't too far wrong.

I thought the weirdest thing I had seen at the Festival this year would be the shop up past greyfriars where you watch through the window as the odd person dances about on a floor laced with petals. I was wrong.
Imagine a boyband who can actually sing live. Try.
Imagine a boyband who have talent and stage presence.
Did you say G4? Are you taking the p**s?
You aint even close.

Are they a boyband? Lets see.....
There are six of them, check
They wear the same suit, check
They freely admit to spending an unhealthy amount of time doing their hair (all bar 1) check,
They gyrate around a lot, and fly across the stage on their knees, check
But....
They have no backing tapes or instruments,
They cover songs giving them their own slant
They take the pish out of themselves,
They do all of the above really really well.

For at least the first 5 minutes, I found my brain struggling to catch on. Questions like What noise is coming from which bloke? How do you find out you can do something like that? All whilst smiling madly in shock.
Andy Frost, Darren Days doppleganger, is the beatbox man. I would love to get him round for dinner, or maybe just keep him in a cupboard. Then, after dinner he could jump out to entertain my guests, marking the evening a great success. I get the sense that Kim wants to do more with him than that, as she goes red and schoolgirly when she talks about him.

It is also good to know that there is infact a guy walking the planet who looks more like Harry Hill than Alan does. Colin on the bass, made noises that made my stomach jiggle. He needs a better name though. "Colin" just isn't Mr Loverman enough

Highlights for me were "This Love" and "Nobody Does it Better" but Darren Days solo, straight into Billy Jean was a jaw dropper.


So to sum up...It was different, It was cheesy, It was fun, It was great.

They also have a blog, so they must be good guys eh?

They are on Sunday and Monday night only at the Assembly Rooms. Go see what you think.

1 Comments:

At 11:02 PM, Blogger Gunnella said...

Yay a blogging boyband ;-P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home